In honor of National Honey Month, here’s a helping of honey facts:
1. To produce two pounds of honey, bees travel a distance equal to four times around the Earth.
2. Honey is one of the few sweeteners that contains health-promoting vitamins and minerals.
3. The antioxidant pinocembrin is found only in honey.
4. Honey is an ancient food, preceding sugar. In fact, honey was found in the tomb of King Tut and, amazingly, was still edible since honey never spoils.
5. There are hundreds of varieties of honey in the United States, each with its unique flavor. Artisanal honeys carry the flavor of the flower from where their nectar derives. vary from orange blossom honey (light and great in tea) to eucalyptus honey (darker, spicy undertone) to bamboo honey (japanese knotwood. Dark and sweet. My personal favorite!)